What does “Remote” mean
Being a “remote” organization, gives Camunda the ability to attract candidates from a global, diverse pool of outstanding talent while also providing our colleagues with more flexibility and convenience.
This is reflected in the principles below:
- Our people work remotely.
- We do not hire for specific locations.
- We manage, collaborate, and socialize remotely.
- We optimize our employees' workspaces for remote work.
- We carefully invest in onsite interactions.
- We do what it takes to win and serve our customers
Those principles are aspirational, i.e. we will not be able to live up to all of them all the time. But they define our ambitions and the direction in which we are going.
The following explains our motivation for remote.
Our people work remotely.
Everybody at Camunda works remote.
Being entitled to work remotely does not mean being entitled to work from everywhere though. These are the limitations that need to be observed:
- People can only work permanently from a country where we can employ them. Please find a list of available countries here.
- Working temporarily from other places can be possible, but only within bounds and with implications that need to be considered.
- Relocating to other places in order to work permanently from there can be possible, but comes with implications that need to be considered.
We do not hire for specific locations.
When we advertise jobs or select candidates, we do not communicate or consider the candidates’ location as a selection criteria. This holds true regardless of the personal leadership style preferences of the hiring manager.
This principle is limited by:
- People can only be hired in a country where we can employ them.
- For market facing roles that are focused on a certain region, e.g. a local account executive, a local developer advocate, a local demand gen campaign manager, hiring for specific locations makes obvious sense.
- Time zones – generally speaking, anything between ET and CET gives more room for synchronous interactions and can (not has to) be considered a preference.
We manage, collaborate, and socialize remotely.
Managing and collaborating remotely translates into specific measures we take, which will be defined in dedicated documents.
Some key principles are:
- A truly helpful Company Handbook as the single source of truth for content which guides us on how we can / should / must go about things.
- Embracing asynchronous communication as the primary way to clarify complex questions and to make decisions.
- Treating synchronous communication (meetings) as a scarce resource that we apply in a mindful way to get the most out of it
- Developing our leadership and alignment practices further, in particular around OKR and the DRI principles.
To socialize remotely is one of two building blocks for a successful team building (the other is onsite socializing).
We optimize our employee workspaces for remote work.
Employees can utilize a co-working space so that everyone who prefers to work from an office will have the ability to do so.
The primary mission for workspaces is to provide distraction free, well-equipped, pleasant work environments for individuals. The primary mission is not to provide space for onsite collaboration.
In addition we will provide our employees with the necessary tools to be productive while working from home by providing Home Office Equipment to a reasonable extent.
We carefully invest in onsite interactions.
Onsite interactions create a benefit we cannot achieve with remote interactions only:
The feeling of “truly meeting” someone builds trust and empathy. In a group, this leads to stronger identification, loyalty and engagement.
We need to be aware about our options to bring people together, especially when they need to travel for that purpose. We have a dedicated strategy for Onsite Team Building.
We do what it takes to win and serve our customers.
Camunda is a remote company, but that doesn’t mean our customers are.
If we feel that we should be onsite with a customer for sales, consulting, customer success, event marketing etc., we will go onsite.
Exceptions only apply because of acute circumstances (e.g., restricted travel due to pandemic).
Nevertheless, we invest in our capabilities to win and serve our customers remotely, for example by using the customer’s preferred remote meeting tools, superior remote training experiences or engaging online conferences.
On this Page
- No labels